Auli, a pristine hill station located in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand, India, is known for its panoramic views of the Himalayan peaks, meadows, and winter sports. Here’s an in-depth guide to help you plan your trip to Auli:
Auli has a fascinating history rooted in Hindu mythology. It’s believed to be the place where Lord Hanuman found the magical herb “Sanjeevani” to revive Lord Lakshmana. Over the years, Auli has evolved into a popular tourist destination renowned for its skiing and winter sports.
Best Time to Visit:
- Winter (December to February): Ideal for skiing and snowboarding with heavy snowfall, making Auli a winter wonderland.
- Spring (March to June): Perfect for enjoying pleasant weather, skiing on remaining snow, and witnessing blooming flowers.
- Autumn (September to November): Suitable for exploring the lush greenery and enjoying the clear mountain views.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, about 279 km away. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or use public transportation to reach Auli.
- By Train: The closest railway station is Haridwar (273 km). From there, you can take a taxi or bus to Auli.
- By Road: Auli is well-connected by road to major cities. You can reach Joshimath, the base point for Auli, and then take a ropeway or taxi to reach Auli.
Mobile networks and internet connectivity are available in Auli, but it’s advisable to check with your service provider for network coverage.
Auli offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, resorts, guesthouses, and government-run tourist rest houses. Some popular choices include The Royal Village, The Cliff Top Club, and Auli Resort.
Things to Do:
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Auli is a skiing paradise, attracting both amateurs and professionals. The Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam (GMVN) organizes skiing courses.
- Ropeway Ride: Take a breathtaking ropeway ride from Joshimath to Auli, offering stunning views of the Himalayan peaks.
- Trekking: Explore the picturesque trails like the Auli-Kuari Pass Trek and Gorson Bugyal Trek for an unforgettable experience.
- Visit Chenab Lake: A beautiful lake located near Joshimath, ideal for a peaceful picnic and nature walk.
Things to Carry:
- Warm Clothing: Given the cold climate, pack layers of warm clothing, including jackets, thermal wear, gloves, and woolen socks.
- Sunscreen and Sunglasses: Protect yourself from the harsh sun rays reflecting off the snow.
- Medications and First Aid Kit: Carry essential medications and a basic first aid kit.
- Camera and Binoculars: Capture the stunning views of the Himalayas and the breathtaking landscape.
- Water Bottles and Snacks: Stay hydrated and carry some energy-boosting snacks.
Plan your trip to Auli well in advance, especially during the winter season, and enjoy the remarkable experiences this enchanting destination has to offer.