Barsana is a small town located in the Mathura district of the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is well-known for being the birthplace of Radha, who is a revered figure in Hindu mythology and is considered the consort of Lord Krishna. ISKCON Temple in Barsana is a significant pilgrimage site for followers of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) and devotees of Lord Krishna.
ISKCON Temple History:
The ISKCON Temple in Barsana is dedicated to Lord Krishna and Radha. It’s part of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) which aims to propagate the teachings and devotion to Lord Krishna as per the Bhagavad Gita and other Hindu scriptures.
How to Reach Barsana and ISKCON Temple:
- By Air: The nearest major airport is the Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) in New Delhi, approximately 115 kilometers away from Barsana. From there, you can hire a taxi or use other transportation options to reach Barsana.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to Barsana is Mathura Junction, about 47 kilometers away. Trains connect Mathura with major cities across India. From Mathura, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Barsana.
- By Road: Barsana is well-connected by road. You can drive from nearby cities or take buses to reach Barsana.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Barsana and ISKCON Temple is during the months of October to March when the weather is pleasant, and various festivities and celebrations related to Lord Krishna and Radha take place.
Local transport within Barsana includes auto-rickshaws, cycle-rickshaws, and taxis. Since Barsana is a small town, it’s easy to explore on foot as well.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- What are the main festivals celebrated at ISKCON Temple in Barsana?
- Janmashtami and Radhashtami are the main festivals celebrated with great enthusiasm at the ISKCON Temple in Barsana.
- Are there any entry fees for ISKCON Temple in Barsana?
- Entry to the ISKCON Temple in Barsana is usually free of charge. However, donations are appreciated.
- Is photography allowed inside the ISKCON Temple in Barsana?
- Photography policies may vary, but usually, photography for personal use is allowed. It’s best to check with the temple authorities.
- Is there any dress code for visiting ISKCON Temple in Barsana?
- Modest and respectful attire is typically appreciated when visiting religious places. Wearing traditional Indian clothing or something appropriate is advisable.
- Is the temple open to visitors on all days of the week?
- Temples usually have specific opening hours, and while they are generally open on all days, it’s best to check the specific visiting hours with the temple.