The Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple is an ancient Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and is located in the village of Nandi in the Chikkaballapur district of Karnataka, India. This temple is renowned for its exquisite Dravidian architecture and is a significant pilgrimage site for devotees of Lord Shiva.
The Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple dates back over a thousand years and reflects the architectural styles of various dynasties that ruled the region, including the Nolamba dynasty, Rashtrakutas, Cholas, Hoysalas, and Vijayanagara Empire. The temple complex consists of several shrines, each representing different phases of architectural evolution.
Best Places to Visit:
- Arunachaleshwara Temple: This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is the oldest shrine in the complex, dating back to the 9th century. It features stunning architecture and intricate carvings.
- Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple: The main temple dedicated to Lord Shiva in the form of Nandi (the bull), portraying him in two forms – Arunachaleshwara and Bhoga Nandeeshwara.
- Uma Maheshwara Temple: This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. It is a beautifully crafted structure with notable carvings and sculptures.
- Yoga Nandeeshwara Temple: This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is an architectural marvel known for its intricate carvings and detailed craftsmanship.
- Sri Ugra Narasimha Temple: This temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu in the form of Narasimha is also part of the Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple complex and is worth visiting.
- By Air: The nearest major airport is Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru, approximately 60 kilometers away from the temple. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or use public transportation to reach the temple.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is Chikkaballapur Railway Station, around 10 kilometers away. From there, you can take a taxi or auto-rickshaw to reach the temple.
- By Road: Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple is well-connected by road. Regular bus services and private taxis are available from major cities and towns in Karnataka to Nandi.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple is during the winter months from October to March when the weather is pleasant and suitable for exploring the temple and its surroundings. It’s advisable to avoid the monsoon season due to heavy rainfall, which may affect travel plans and outdoor activities.