Cherrapunji, officially known as Sohra, is a small town in the East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya, India. It holds the record for being one of the wettest places on Earth due to its heavy annual rainfall. The lush greenery, breathtaking waterfalls, and misty landscapes make it a popular tourist destination.
Cherrapunji is known for its rich cultural and historical heritage. It was the first British outpost in the region during the time of the British Raj. The local Khasi people have a unique matrilineal society and preserve their culture and traditions.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Cherrapunji is during the months of October to April when the weather is pleasant and conducive for outdoor activities and exploration. The monsoon season (May to September) should be avoided due to heavy rains and landslides.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The nearest airport is Shillong Airport (Umroi Airport), about 30 kilometers away. From there, you can hire a taxi or use other transportation options to reach Cherrapunji.
- By Train: The nearest major railway station is Guwahati Railway Station in Assam, about 150 kilometers away. From Guwahati, you can hire a taxi or use buses to reach Cherrapunji.
- By Road: Cherrapunji is well-connected by road. You can drive or take a bus from nearby cities like Shillong, Guwahati, or other parts of Meghalaya.
Mobile networks have coverage in Cherrapunji, but it’s advisable to check with your service provider for network availability. Internet connectivity may be limited in some areas.
Cherrapunji offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, guesthouses, resorts, and homestays. Some popular choices include Polo Orchid Resort, Sa-I-Mika Resort, and Kutmadan Resort, offering a comfortable stay amidst the serene surroundings.
Things to Do:
- Visit Nohkalikai Falls: Witness the stunning Nohkalikai Falls, one of the tallest plunge waterfalls in India, amidst the lush greenery.
- Explore Mawsmai Caves: Discover the intriguing limestone Mawsmai Caves, known for their unique formations and stalactites.
- Trek to Double Decker Living Root Bridge: Embark on a trek to the unique Double Decker Living Root Bridge, a marvel of bioengineering.
- Experience Local Culture: Interact with the friendly Khasi tribes, immerse yourself in their culture, and try their local cuisine.
- Chase Waterfalls: Explore other waterfalls like Dainthlen Falls, Kynrem Falls, and Rainbow Falls, cascading through the hills of Cherrapunji.
Things to Carry:
- Rain Gear: Due to the frequent rains, carry umbrellas, raincoats, or waterproof jackets to stay dry.
- Comfortable Shoes: Wear sturdy and comfortable footwear suitable for walking and trekking.
- Camera: Capture the picturesque landscapes and stunning waterfalls Cherrapunji offers.
- Sunscreen and Sunglasses: Protect yourself from the sun during clear days when exploring outdoors.
- Medications: Carry a basic medical kit and any personal medications you may need.
Cherrapunji’s mesmerizing beauty, vibrant culture, and historical significance make it a must-visit destination in Meghalaya. Enjoy the stunning natural wonders and experience the warm hospitality of the Khasi people. 🌿🌦️