Digha, a popular seaside resort town located in the Purba Medinipur district of West Bengal, India, is renowned for its pristine beaches and serene ambiance. It is one of the most visited tourist destinations in West Bengal, attracting travelers with its beautiful beaches and vibrant local culture.
Digha’s transformation into a tourist destination began in the late 18th century when Warren Hastings, the first Governor-General of India, identified its potential as a beach resort. Over the years, it has evolved into a significant tourist hub due to its accessibility and scenic beauty.
Best Time to Visit:
The ideal time to visit Digha is from October to March when the weather is pleasant, and the humidity is relatively low. These months offer a perfect blend of comfortable temperatures, clear skies, and enjoyable beach activities.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The nearest airport is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata, approximately 190 kilometers away. From there, you can hire a taxi or use public transportation to reach Digha.
- By Train: Digha is well-connected by train, with Digha Flag Station being the primary railway station. Trains from major cities like Kolkata, Delhi, and Mumbai ply to Digha regularly.
- By Road: Digha is easily accessible by road. You can drive or take a bus from Kolkata, which is around a 4-5 hour journey depending on traffic.
- Local Transportation: Auto-rickshaws, cycle rickshaws, and taxis are common modes of transportation within Digha and for short trips to nearby attractions.
- Mobile Network: Major mobile networks have coverage in Digha. However, it’s advisable to check with your service provider for connectivity specifics.
Digha offers a wide range of accommodation options, including budget hotels, mid-range hotels, resorts, and guesthouses. Some popular options include Hotel Sea Hawk, Hotel Dolphin, and Hotel Coral.
Things to Do:
- Beach Activities: Enjoy the sun, sand, and waves at the Digha Beach and participate in beach activities like beach volleyball and beach football.
- Marine Aquarium and Research Centre: Explore the Marine Aquarium to witness an array of marine life, including various fish species and other aquatic creatures.
- Udaipur Beach: Visit the Udaipur Beach, a quieter and less crowded beach compared to Digha, perfect for peaceful walks and relaxation.
- Old Digha Sea Beach: Visit the Old Digha Sea Beach, known for its tranquil ambiance and a great place to witness a beautiful sunrise or sunset.
Things to Carry:
- Sunscreen and Sunhat: Protect yourself from the sun, especially if you plan to spend time at the beach.
- Beachwear and Swimwear: If you plan to swim, carry appropriate swimwear.
- Camera: Capture the scenic beauty and memorable moments during your trip.
- Medicines: Carry a basic medical kit with essential medications.
- Cash: Although ATMs are available, it’s advisable to carry sufficient cash for convenience.