Jolly Buoy Island, also known as Jolly Buoy Beach, is a small, serene island located in the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago. It is part of the Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park and is renowned for its crystal-clear waters, vibrant coral reefs, and diverse marine life. Here’s more information about Jolly Buoy Island:
How to Reach:
- Jolly Buoy Island can be reached from Port Blair by taking a ferry. The ferry ride typically takes around 1.5 to 2 hours. Access to the island is regulated to protect the fragile ecosystem, so it’s essential to check the availability of permits and ferry schedules in advance.
Best Time to Visit:
- The best time to visit Jolly Buoy Island is during the dry season, which is from November to April. During these months, the weather is pleasant, and the sea is calm, providing excellent visibility for snorkeling and underwater activities.
- Mobile networks and internet connectivity may be limited or unavailable on Jolly Buoy Island. It’s advisable to check with local authorities or your accommodation for the most up-to-date information on connectivity.
- Jolly Buoy Island does not have accommodation options for overnight stays. Most visitors stay in Port Blair and plan a day trip to Jolly Buoy.
- Red Skin Island: Red Skin Island, another popular destination for snorkeling and water activities, is located nearby. You may be able to combine a visit to both Jolly Buoy and Red Skin Islands on the same day.
Popular Things to Do:
- Snorkeling: Explore the stunning coral reefs and underwater biodiversity through snorkeling. Rental gear is usually available on the island.
- Glass Bottom Boat Ride: If you don’t want to get in the water, you can take a glass-bottom boat ride to view the underwater world.
- Picnicking: Enjoy a leisurely picnic on the pristine beach and soak in the natural beauty.
- Nature Trails: Take a short nature walk to explore the island’s lush greenery and spot various bird species.
- Do I need to obtain permits to visit Jolly Buoy Island?
- Yes, permits are required to visit Jolly Buoy Island. These permits can be obtained from the Forest Department in Port Blair. It’s advisable to check the latest permit requirements and regulations before planning your trip.
- Are there food and refreshment options available on Jolly Buoy Island?
- There may be basic food and refreshment stalls on the island, but it’s a good idea to carry some water and snacks with you, as the options can be limited.
- Is it safe to snorkel at Jolly Buoy Island?
- Yes, it is generally safe to snorkel at Jolly Buoy Island, but it’s important to follow safety guidelines and listen to instructions from your guide. Always wear appropriate safety gear.
- Can I visit Jolly Buoy Island independently, or do I need to join a guided tour?
- Access to Jolly Buoy Island is typically regulated, and visitors often need to join guided tours or packages offered by authorized operators. These tours include transportation, permits, and snorkeling equipment.
Jolly Buoy Island is a true paradise for underwater enthusiasts and nature lovers. Its protected marine environment offers a glimpse into the incredible biodiversity of the Andaman Sea.