Jowai, the largest town in the Jaintia Hills of Meghalaya, India, is a destination that encapsulates natural beauty and rich cultural heritage. It’s famed for its lush landscapes, gushing waterfalls, and vibrant festivals. Here’s everything you need to know to plan your trip:
Best Time to Visit:
- October to May: The weather is pleasant, and it’s the best time for outdoor activities, exploration, and festivals like Behdeinkhlam.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The nearest major airport is Shillong Airport, approximately 60 km away. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Jowai.
- By Road: Jowai is well-connected by roads. You can drive from nearby cities like Shillong, Guwahati, or Silchar. Regular buses also operate from major cities in Meghalaya.
- Mobile networks and internet connectivity are available in Jowai. However, due to its hilly terrain, signals may be weak in certain areas.
Jowai offers various accommodation options catering to different budgets:
- Hotels and Resorts: A few hotels and resorts provide a comfortable stay experience.
- Guesthouses and Homestays: You can opt for homely stays to experience local culture and traditions.
Things to Do:
- Dawki River and Umngot River: Visit these crystal-clear rivers, especially Umngot, for boating and to witness the surreal beauty of the underwater world.
- Thadlaskein Lake: An enchanting lake with a legendary story. It’s perfect for a serene picnic and nature walk.
- Nartiang Monoliths: Explore the ancient monoliths, a part of Jaintia Hills’ heritage, showcasing its rich history.
- Behdeinkhlam Festival: If visiting in July, don’t miss this vibrant festival with traditional dances, music, and rituals.
Things to Carry:
- Weather-appropriate Clothing: Layered clothing for the changing weather, including rain gear if visiting during the monsoon season.
- Hiking Boots or Comfortable Footwear: If you plan to trek or explore nature trails.
- Camera and Binoculars: Capture the breathtaking scenery and birdwatching opportunities.
- Sunscreen and Sunglasses: Protect yourself from the sun at high altitudes.
- Medications and First Aid Kit: Carry essential medicines and a basic first aid kit.
- Local Maps and Travel Guide: Helpful for navigation and finding local attractions.
- Syntu Ksiar Trek: A moderately challenging trek leading to a beautiful viewpoint.
- Krem Mawmluh Cave: Explore the fascinating limestone caves in the region.
- Thlumuwi Limestone Cave: Known for its impressive stalagmites and stalactites, providing a glimpse of the region’s geological formations.