Kavaratti is the capital and one of the most developed islands in the Union Territory of Lakshadweep, India. Known for its picturesque landscapes, clear blue waters, and rich cultural heritage, Kavaratti is a popular destination for travelers seeking a blend of natural beauty and cultural experiences.
How to Reach Kavaratti:
- By Air: The primary mode of reaching Kavaratti is by air. Agatti Airport, located nearby, is well-connected to Kochi in Kerala. Regular flights operated by the Airports Authority of India connect Agatti to the mainland. From Agatti, you can take a boat to reach Kavaratti.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Kavaratti is during the dry season, which is from October to April. The weather is pleasant, and this period offers excellent conditions for water sports and exploration. The monsoon season (May to September) should be avoided due to heavy rainfall.
Mobile networks and internet connectivity are available on Kavaratti, ensuring you stay connected during your visit.
Kavaratti offers accommodation options primarily in the form of resorts, guesthouses, and cottages, providing comfortable and scenic stays. Some popular choices include:
- Kavaratti Island Beach Resort (Lakshadweep Tourism)
- Hotel Marine Executive
It’s advisable to book your accommodation well in advance, especially during the peak tourist season.
Nearby Places to Visit:
- Bangaram Island: Take a short boat ride to Bangaram Island, known for its pristine beaches, coral reefs, and water sports.
- Agatti Island: Explore Agatti Island, which offers opportunities for snorkeling, scuba diving, and beach activities.
Popular Things to Do:
- Water Sports: Kavaratti is a hub for water sports, including snorkeling, scuba diving, windsurfing, and sailing. Explore the vibrant marine life and coral reefs in the surrounding waters.
- Cultural Exploration: Visit the Ujra Mosque and Jamnath Mosque to explore the local culture and architecture.
- Beach Activities: Enjoy swimming, sunbathing, and beachcombing on the beautiful beaches of Kavaratti.
- Is Kavaratti safe for tourists? – Kavaratti is generally safe for tourists. Follow local guidelines to protect the environment, including the coral reefs.
- What is the currency used on Kavaratti? – The currency used is the Indian Rupee (INR).
- Are there ATMs on Kavaratti? – Limited banking facilities and ATMs are available on the island. It’s recommended to carry sufficient cash.
- What language is spoken on Kavaratti? – Malayalam is the primary language, but English and Hindi are also understood.
- Do I need a permit to visit Kavaratti? – Indian citizens do not require a permit to visit Kavaratti. However, for foreigners, a permit is required to enter Lakshadweep, which can be obtained through tour operators.
Kavaratti, Lakshadweep, offers a serene and scenic tropical experience with its beautiful beaches and vibrant marine life. It’s an ideal destination for water sports enthusiasts and those seeking cultural immersion. Enjoy your visit to this captivating island!