Kohoj Fort is a historical fort located in Palghar district of Maharashtra, India. It stands at an elevation of about 3200 feet above sea level and offers picturesque views of the surrounding landscapes. Here’s the information you requested:
- How to reach Kohoj Fort:
- By Road: Kohoj Fort is approximately 125 kilometers away from Mumbai. You can drive to the base village of Khodala, which is well-connected by road.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to Kohoj Fort is Vangaon, which is about 22 kilometers away. From there, you can hire a local transport like a taxi, auto-rickshaw, or a bus to reach the base village.
- Nearby places:
- Tansa Wildlife Sanctuary: Located nearby, this sanctuary is known for its diverse flora and fauna. It’s a great place for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts.
- Tringalwadi Fort: Another fort located close to Kohoj, Tringalwadi Fort is known for its beautiful stone carvings and panoramic views.
- Kohoj Fort Information:
- The fort has historical significance and dates back to the 13th century. It was built by the Bahmani Sultanate and later captured by the Portuguese.
- Kohoj Fort is known for its peculiar shape and architectural marvels, such as the entrance gate and the stone carvings.
- The trek to Kohoj Fort is moderate in difficulty and takes around 3-4 hours to reach the top. It’s advised to go with a local guide or an experienced trekker.
- Best time to visit:
- The best time to visit Kohoj Fort is during the monsoon season (June to September) when the surroundings are lush green and the weather is pleasant.
- Avoid visiting during heavy rainfall or extreme weather conditions for safety reasons.
Please note that it’s always a good idea to check the local weather conditions and seek any necessary permissions or guidance before planning a visit to the fort. Enjoy your trip to Kohoj Fort!