Korigad, also known as Koraigad, is a hill fort located near Lonavala in the Pune district of Maharashtra, India. The fort has historical significance dating back to the 15th century during the rule of the Bahamani Sultanate. It was later captured and fortified by Shivaji Maharaj, further contributing to its historical importance.
The fort is a popular trekking destination owing to its scenic beauty, relatively easy trekking path, and the historical charm it offers. It provides panoramic views of the surrounding Sahyadri mountains and the Ambavane Plateau.
How to Reach Korigad:
- By Road: Korigad is easily accessible by road from Lonavala, which is well-connected to major cities like Mumbai and Pune. Lonavala is approximately 20 kilometers away from Korigad.
- Trek Route: The trek to Korigad typically starts from the base village of Peth Shahpur or Ambavane. Both villages are accessible by road from Lonavala.
- Lonavala: Lonavala offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, resorts, guesthouses, and homestays to suit various budgets and preferences. Trekkers often stay in Lonavala and start the trek to Korigad from there.
- Camping: While there may not be formal accommodation options on the fort itself, some trekkers opt for camping near Korigad to enjoy a night amidst nature. It’s essential to carry necessary camping gear if choosing this option.
Connectivity in the Region:
- Road Connectivity: Lonavala is well-connected by road to major cities in Maharashtra, making it easy to reach the base village for the trek.
- Mobile Connectivity: Mobile network connectivity is usually good in Lonavala and nearby areas, ensuring communication accessibility.
- Internet Connectivity: Lonavala provides internet connectivity, but it may be limited in the trekking areas and on the fort itself.
Always check the weather conditions before starting the trek, carry sufficient water and snacks, wear appropriate trekking gear, and follow safety guidelines to have a safe and enjoyable trekking experience to Korigad.