Kovalam is a beautiful coastal town located in the southern state of Kerala, India. It is renowned for its pristine beaches, picturesque landscapes, and tranquil atmosphere. Kovalam has been a popular tourist destination for decades, offering a perfect blend of natural beauty and relaxation. The town is known for its crescent-shaped beaches and clear blue waters.
How to Reach Kovalam:
Kovalam is easily accessible by road and air.
- By Air: The nearest airport to Kovalam is Trivandrum International Airport (Thiruvananthapuram Airport), which is approximately 15 kilometers away. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to Kovalam.
- By Road: Kovalam is well-connected by road to major cities in Kerala and neighboring states. You can reach Kovalam by bus or taxi. It’s about 13 kilometers from Thiruvananthapuram, the capital of Kerala.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Kovalam is from September to March. During this period, the weather is pleasant, and the sea is calm, making it ideal for beach activities and water sports. Monsoon (June to August) is also a good time to visit if you enjoy the lush greenery, but swimming in the sea may not be safe during this season.
Kovalam has good mobile network connectivity, and you should have no trouble getting a signal from major Indian telecom providers.
Kovalam offers a wide range of accommodation options, including luxury resorts, hotels, guesthouses, and beachfront cottages. You can find accommodation that suits various budgets and preferences.
Nearby Places to Visit:
- Vizhinjam: Explore the historic Vizhinjam village and its ancient cave temples.
- Kovalam Light House: Visit the Kovalam Light House for panoramic views of the coastline.
Popular Things to Do:
- Beach Activities: Enjoy swimming, sunbathing, and beach volleyball on the golden sands of Kovalam Beach.
- Water Sports: Try water sports such as parasailing, surfing, and jet-skiing offered by local operators.
- Ayurvedic Treatments: Experience rejuvenating Ayurvedic massages and spa treatments at the many wellness centers in Kovalam.
- Shopping: Shop for souvenirs, handicrafts, and traditional Kerala items in the local markets.
- Is Kovalam safe for tourists? – Yes, Kovalam is generally safe for tourists. Exercise standard precautions and follow local guidelines.
- What is the currency used in Kovalam? – The currency used is the Indian Rupee (INR).
- Are there ATMs in Kovalam? – Yes, there are ATMs in Kovalam, but it’s advisable to carry some cash, especially if you plan to visit remote areas.
- Can I swim in the sea at Kovalam Beach? – Yes, you can swim in the sea at Kovalam Beach, but be cautious and follow any safety guidelines provided by lifeguards.
- Do I need a permit to visit Kovalam? – Indian tourists do not require a permit to visit Kovalam. Foreign tourists usually do not require a separate permit for visiting Kovalam as it’s a popular tourist destination.
Kovalam’s serene beaches and tranquil atmosphere make it an ideal destination for those seeking relaxation and natural beauty. Whether you want to unwind on the beach, indulge in water sports, or experience Ayurvedic treatments, Kovalam offers a peaceful getaway by the sea.