Kurukshetra, a historic city in Haryana, is known for its cultural and religious significance. Here’s some information about it:
- Location: Kurukshetra is located in the northern Indian state of Haryana.
- Historical Significance: It is believed to be the site of the Kurukshetra War, a major event in the Indian epic Mahabharata.
- Religious Importance: Kurukshetra is also known for its numerous temples and ghats along the sacred Saraswati River.
How to Reach Kurukshetra:
- By Air: The nearest airport is Chandigarh Airport, which is about 90 kilometers away. Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport is also a viable option, approximately 160 kilometers away.
- By Train: Kurukshetra Junction is a major railway station well-connected to various cities in India.
- By Road: Kurukshetra is easily accessible by road via national highways, and there are regular bus services from nearby cities.
Best Time to Visit:
- The best time to visit Kurukshetra is during the winter months, from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and suitable for sightseeing.
- Kurukshetra is well-connected by road, rail, and air, making it accessible from different parts of India.
- Kurukshetra offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, guesthouses, and budget lodges for tourists.
- Jyotisar: This is believed to be the spot where Lord Krishna delivered the Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna during the Mahabharata.
- Brahma Sarovar: A sacred water tank surrounded by ghats and temples.
- Sannihit Sarovar: Another sacred tank with historical and religious significance.
- Kurukshetra University: Known for its beautiful campus and educational institutions.
Popular Things to Do:
- Visit the historic sites and temples associated with the Mahabharata.
- Take a dip in the sacred sarovars (tanks).
- Explore the local culture, cuisine, and bazaars.
- Attend religious events and festivals, especially during solar eclipses.
- Entry Fee: Some religious sites may have nominal entry fees, while others are free to visit.
- Timings: Temples and historical sites may have specific opening and closing hours, so check in advance.
- Local Cuisine: Don’t miss trying local Haryanvi dishes like kadhi, bhutte ka kees, and more.
- Language: Hindi and Haryanvi are commonly spoken languages.
Remember to respect the religious and cultural sentiments of the place and follow any specific rules or customs when visiting temples and other sacred sites in Kurukshetra.