Long Island is a remote and less-visited island in the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago. It is known for its unspoiled natural beauty, dense tropical forests, pristine beaches, and diverse marine life. Here’s more information about Long Island:
How to Reach:
- By Ferry: Long Island can be reached from Port Blair by taking a ferry. The ferry journey typically takes about 2-3 hours. There are government-operated and private ferries available.
Best Time to Visit:
- The best time to visit Long Island is during the dry season, which is from November to April. During these months, the weather is pleasant, and the sea is calm, making it suitable for outdoor activities and beach exploration.
- Mobile networks and internet connectivity may be limited on Long Island, as it is a remote and less-developed destination.
- Long Island offers a few accommodation options, including government guesthouses and eco-friendly resorts. Some popular choices include the Long Island Beach Resort and the Turtle Resort.
- Lalaji Bay Beach: A beautiful and secluded beach that can be reached by a short trek through the forest.
- Merk Bay Beach: Another pristine and less-crowded beach known for its natural beauty.
Popular Things to Do:
- Trekking: Explore the lush tropical forests and trek to beaches like Lalaji Bay and Merk Bay.
- Snorkeling and Scuba Diving: Discover the underwater world and marine life by engaging in snorkeling and scuba diving activities.
- Bird Watching: Long Island is home to a variety of bird species, making it a great place for birdwatching.
- Kayaking: Enjoy kayaking in the calm waters surrounding the island.
- Is there an ATM on Long Island?
- No, there are no ATMs on Long Island. It’s advisable to carry sufficient cash before arriving on the island.
- Is it safe to swim and snorkel around Long Island?
- Yes, it is generally safe to swim and snorkel around Long Island, but it’s important to follow safety guidelines and be aware of sea conditions.
- Are there medical facilities on the island in case of emergencies?
- Long Island has basic medical facilities, but for more serious medical issues, you may need to return to Port Blair.
- Can I visit Long Island as a day trip from Port Blair?
- While it’s possible to visit Long Island as a day trip, it’s recommended to stay overnight to fully explore and appreciate the natural beauty of the island.
- Do I need any permits to visit Long Island?
- Indian tourists do not require permits to visit Long Island. However, foreign tourists may need to obtain permits, so it’s advisable to check with local authorities or your tour operator.
Long Island offers a serene and tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. It’s an ideal destination for nature lovers and those seeking a remote and peaceful getaway.