Mawlynnong, located in the East Khasi Hills of Meghalaya, India, is renowned as Asia’s cleanest village. It is a model of cleanliness and community-based eco-tourism. The village is blessed with lush greenery, beautiful waterfalls, and captivating living root bridges.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Mawlynnong is during the months of October to April when the weather is pleasant and ideal for exploring the village and its nearby attractions.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The nearest airport is Shillong Airport, approximately 90 kilometers away. From there, you can hire a taxi or use other transportation options to reach Mawlynnong.
- By Road: Mawlynnong is well-connected by road. You can hire a taxi or drive from nearby cities like Shillong, which is about 78 kilometers away.
Mawlynnong has limited mobile network connectivity. It is advisable to check with your service provider for availability. However, the village offers a unique opportunity to disconnect and immerse yourself in nature.
Accommodation options in Mawlynnong range from homestays to guesthouses. The village offers a chance to experience the Khasi culture and hospitality firsthand through homestays.
Things to Do:
- Living Root Bridge Visit: Explore the nearby living root bridges, marvels of bioengineering where tree roots are manipulated to form bridges.
- Sky Walk: Experience the Sky Walk, a bamboo structure that provides a stunning view of the entire village and the Bangladesh plains.
- Balancing Rock: Visit the balancing rock, a natural rock formation that seems to defy gravity.
- Nature Walks: Take leisurely nature walks and enjoy the serenity of the village, the cleanest in Asia.
Things to Carry:
- Rain Gear: Mawlynnong experiences rainfall, so carrying raincoats or umbrellas is advisable.
- Camera: Don’t forget to capture the scenic beauty of the village and its attractions.
- Comfortable Footwear: Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking and exploring.
- Cash: ATMs may not be readily available in the village, so carry sufficient cash.
Tips for Travelers:
- Respect the Local Culture: Mawlynnong is known for its cleanliness and disciplined lifestyle. Respect the local customs and traditions.
- Maintain Cleanliness: Abide by the cleanliness norms of the village and ensure that you don’t litter.
- Guided Tours: Consider hiring a local guide for a more enriching experience and understanding of the village.
Mawlynnong offers a glimpse into sustainable and eco-friendly living while allowing you to enjoy the natural beauty of Meghalaya. Immerse yourself in this clean and picturesque village for a unique and memorable experience. 🌍🌺