Nokrek National Park, located in the West Garo Hills district of Meghalaya, India, is recognized as a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. This park is renowned for its significant biodiversity, being the home to the elusive red panda and the unique citrus-indica species.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Nokrek National Park is during the winter and early spring months, from November to March, when the weather is pleasant and ideal for exploring the park’s beauty.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The nearest airport is the Guwahati International Airport in Assam, approximately 180 km away. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Nokrek National Park.
- By Train: The closest railway station is Guwahati Railway Station, around 170 km away. Once you reach the station, you can proceed by taxi or bus.
- By Road: You can hire a taxi or take a bus from nearby towns or cities like Tura to reach Nokrek National Park.
Mobile networks and internet connectivity may be limited in and around Nokrek National Park due to its remote location. It’s advisable to check with your service provider for network availability.
Accommodation options around Nokrek National Park are limited. It’s recommended to stay in nearby towns like Tura, which offers a variety of lodging options such as hotels, guesthouses, and resorts.
Things to Do:
- Wildlife Safari: Embark on a wildlife safari within the park to catch a glimpse of the diverse flora and fauna, including the red panda, Asian elephants, and various bird species.
- Trekking and Hiking: Explore the lush greenery and captivating landscapes surrounding the park through trekking and hiking trails.
- Bird Watching: Nokrek National Park is a paradise for birdwatchers, offering a chance to spot various avian species in their natural habitat.
- Photography: Capture the mesmerizing beauty of the park, including its diverse wildlife, vibrant flora, and breathtaking views.
Things to Carry:
- Comfortable Clothing: Wear comfortable and breathable clothing suitable for the weather during your visit.
- Binoculars and Camera: Carry binoculars for birdwatching and a camera to capture the scenic beauty and wildlife.
- Water and Snacks: Carry sufficient water and light snacks to keep yourself hydrated and energized.
- Trekking Gear: If you plan on trekking, ensure you have appropriate trekking shoes and gear.
- Personal Medications: Carry any necessary personal medications and a basic first aid kit.
Experience the Pristine Wilderness of Nokrek:
Nokrek National Park in Meghalaya beckons adventure seekers and nature enthusiasts to explore its rich biodiversity and stunning landscapes. Immerse yourself in the beauty of this UNESCO Biosphere Reserve and witness the marvels of the natural world.