Nongriat is a scenic village in the northeastern state of Meghalaya, India, famous for its living root bridges and breathtaking natural beauty. Nestled in the East Khasi Hills, this offbeat destination is a haven for nature lovers and adventure seekers.
Best Time to Visit:
- October to May: This period, particularly post-monsoon to pre-monsoon, is the best time to visit Nongriat. The weather is pleasant, and the lush greenery is at its peak.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The nearest airport is Shillong Airport (also known as Umroi Airport), about 32 kilometers away. From there, you can hire a taxi to reach Nongriat.
- By Train: The closest railway station is Guwahati Railway Station, which is approximately 136 kilometers from Nongriat. After reaching Guwahati, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to Shillong and then proceed to Nongriat.
- By Road: From Shillong, you can hire a taxi or rent a car to reach Cherrapunjee. From Cherrapunjee, the trek to Nongriat begins.
- Mobile network connectivity is limited or absent in Nongriat due to its remote location. It’s advisable to inform your contacts before reaching Cherrapunjee, where network coverage is better.
- Accommodation options in Nongriat are basic and mostly comprise homestays and guesthouses run by locals. Booking in advance is recommended due to the limited availability of rooms.
Things to Do:
- Living Root Bridges: Explore and marvel at the unique living root bridges, a highlight of Nongriat. The Double Decker Root Bridge and the Rainbow Falls are iconic attractions.
- Trekking and Hiking: Embark on trekking expeditions to the nearby attractions like the Seven Sisters Falls and other natural wonders. The trekking trails offer stunning views of the landscapes.
- Village Exploration: Immerse yourself in the local Khasi culture by interacting with the friendly villagers, understanding their traditions, and trying local cuisine.
- Swimming and Waterfalls: Take a refreshing dip in the natural pools formed by waterfalls like the Rainbow Falls and the Seven Sisters Falls.
Things to Carry:
- Trekking Shoes: Sturdy, waterproof trekking shoes with good grip are essential.
- Water and Snacks: Carry enough water and energy bars/snacks for the trek.
- Rain Gear: As the weather can be unpredictable, pack a raincoat or poncho.
- First Aid Kit: Carry a basic first aid kit with necessary medicines and bandages.
- Camera: Don’t miss capturing the breathtaking landscapes and the unique root bridges.
- Cash: Ensure you have enough cash, as ATMs might not be readily available.
- Respectful Attire: Dress modestly and respectfully, especially when visiting local villages.
Tips for Travelers:
- Respect the local culture and traditions. Seek permission before taking photographs of people or their homes.
- Follow eco-friendly practices. Avoid littering and maintain cleanliness throughout your journey.
- Inform someone trustworthy about your travel plans and expected return time for safety purposes.
Nongriat is a paradise for those seeking a blend of adventure, natural beauty, and cultural experiences. Plan your trip wisely to make the most of this hidden gem in Meghalaya. 🌏🌳