Port Blair is the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, an Indian Union Territory located in the Bay of Bengal. Here’s some information about Port Blair:
About Port Blair:
- Port Blair is known for its natural beauty, pristine beaches, and historical significance.
- It served as the British administrative headquarters during colonial times and has several historical sites and museums.
- Cellular Jail, also known as Kala Pani, is a prominent historical attraction where many Indian freedom fighters were imprisoned.
How to Reach:
- By Air: Veer Savarkar International Airport in Port Blair is well-connected to major Indian cities like Chennai and Kolkata. You can take direct flights from these cities.
- By Sea: You can also reach Port Blair via ship or cruise from Kolkata, Chennai, and Vizag. However, this option takes longer.
Best Time to Visit:
- The best time to visit Port Blair is between October and May when the weather is pleasant and suitable for outdoor activities.
- Port Blair has good connectivity through mobile networks, and there’s access to the internet. However, connectivity on some remote islands may be limited.
- Port Blair offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, resorts, and guesthouses. Some popular choices include Hotel SeaShell, Sinclairs Bayview, and Fortune Resort Bay Island.
- Havelock Island: Known for its stunning beaches, especially Radhanagar Beach.
- Neil Island: Famous for its serene environment and natural beauty.
- Ross Island: Historically significant with old British buildings and ruins.
- North Bay Island: Ideal for snorkeling and underwater activities.
Popular Things to Do:
- Explore Cellular Jail and its light and sound show.
- Enjoy water sports like snorkeling, scuba diving, and sea walking.
- Visit the Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park for marine life and coral reefs.
- Take a ferry to nearby islands for beach relaxation and water activities.
- Do I need a permit to visit the Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
- Yes, Indian tourists require a permit (Restricted Area Permit or RAP) to visit certain islands. Foreign tourists require a different permit (PAP – Protected Area Permit). These permits can be obtained upon arrival.
- What is the currency used in the Andaman Islands?
- The official currency is the Indian Rupee (INR).
- Is there a time difference in Port Blair compared to mainland India?
- No, Port Blair follows the Indian Standard Time (IST), which is the same as the mainland.
- Are there ATMs available in Port Blair?
- Yes, you can find ATMs in Port Blair, but it’s a good idea to carry sufficient cash, especially if you plan to visit remote areas where ATMs may be limited.
- Is it safe to swim in the waters around Port Blair?
- While swimming is generally safe in designated areas, it’s advisable to follow local guidelines and take necessary precautions, especially during the monsoon season when the sea can be rough.