Sandhan Valley, also known as the “Valley of Shadows,” is a naturally carved gorge formed by the powerful force of water and wind erosion. It’s located in the Sahyadri mountain range in Maharashtra, India. The history of the valley primarily lies in its geological formation, shaped over centuries by the action of nature.
The popularity of the Sandhan Valley Trek stems from its unique geological features and the thrilling adventure it offers. The trek involves descending into the narrow gorge, traversing through boulders, water pools, and rappelling down waterfalls, providing an exciting and adrenaline-pumping experience for trekkers and adventure enthusiasts.
How to Reach Sandhan Valley:
- By Road: The trek starts from the village of Samrad, which is the base village for the Sandhan Valley Trek. Samrad is accessible by road from major cities in Maharashtra, such as Mumbai and Pune.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to Samrad is Igatpuri, which is well-connected by trains from various parts of the country. From Igatpuri, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Samrad.
- By Air: The nearest airport is Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport. From there, you can travel by road to reach Samrad.
Accommodation options in the base village, Samrad, are limited and primarily include local homestays or guesthouses. Trekkers often opt for camping near the Sandhan Valley, where they can set up tents and enjoy a camping experience amidst the beautiful surroundings.
It’s advisable to book accommodation in advance, especially during peak trekking seasons, and confirm the availability of basic amenities.
Connectivity in the Region:
- Mobile Connectivity: Mobile network connectivity may be limited or absent in the remote areas surrounding Sandhan Valley. It’s recommended to have a backup communication plan and inform someone about your trekking plans.
- Internet Connectivity: Internet connectivity is generally not available in the immediate trekking area. It’s best to complete all necessary online activities and research before reaching the trek starting point.
Sandhan Valley Trek is an exhilarating experience, and trekkers should ensure they are well-prepared with appropriate gear, follow safety guidelines, and respect the environment during their trek.