Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary is a renowned sanctuary located in the state of Tripura, India. It’s known for its diverse range of flora and fauna, making it a significant attraction for nature enthusiasts and wildlife lovers. The sanctuary also features a zoo and offers opportunities for wildlife viewing and bird watching. Here’s everything you need to know:
How to Reach Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary:
- By Air: The nearest airport is Agartala’s Maharaja Bir Bikram Airport (IXA), which is well-connected to major Indian cities. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach the sanctuary, approximately 25 kilometers away.
- By Train: The closest railway station is in Agartala. From Agartala, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary, which is around 25 kilometers from the city center.
- By Road: Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary is easily accessible by road from Agartala and other major towns in Tripura. You can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach the sanctuary.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to explore Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary is during the winter and post-monsoon months, from November to March. The weather is pleasant, and it’s an ideal time for wildlife sightings and bird watching.
Local transportation within the sanctuary includes battery-operated vehicles for wildlife safaris and zoo visits.
While Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary doesn’t have accommodations inside the sanctuary, you can find various hotels and guesthouses in nearby Agartala for a comfortable stay.
Nearby Places to Visit:
- Agartala: The capital city of Tripura offers various attractions, including Ujjayanta Palace, Neermahal, and other cultural and historical sites.
Popular Things to Do:
- Wildlife Safari: Enjoy a wildlife safari in the sanctuary to spot various animals and birds in their natural habitat.
- Bird Watching: Sepahijala is a paradise for bird watchers with a diverse range of avian species, including migratory birds.
- Visit the Zoo: Explore the sanctuary’s zoo, which houses various animals and reptiles, providing an opportunity for children and families to learn about wildlife.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):
- Q: What animals can visitors expect to see in Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary?
- A: The sanctuary is home to various animals, including Indian bison, deer, clouded leopards, and various species of primates.
- Q: Are there any specific guidelines for wildlife safaris within the sanctuary?
- A: Visitors are advised to follow the guidelines provided by the sanctuary authorities, maintain silence during safaris, and not feed the animals.
- Q: Can visitors bring food and drinks into the sanctuary?
- A: It’s best to check the sanctuary’s rules and regulations regarding bringing food and drinks. Many sanctuaries prohibit feeding the animals to maintain their natural behavior.
Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary offers a unique opportunity to connect with nature, witness diverse wildlife, and indulge in bird watching. It’s an excellent destination for eco-tourism and experiencing the natural beauty of Tripura.