The Statue of Unity is a colossal statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, who was a key figure in the Indian independence movement and the first Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister of India. It is located near Kevadia in the state of Gujarat, India. The statue is the world’s tallest statue and a major tourist attraction.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The nearest airport is the Vadodara Airport (also known as Civil Airport Harni), approximately 90 kilometers away. From Vadodara, you can hire a taxi or use other transportation options to reach the Statue of Unity.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is Vadodara Junction, which is well-connected to major cities in India. From Vadodara, you can reach the Statue of Unity by taxi or other local transportation.
- By Road: The Statue of Unity is well-connected by road. It’s approximately 3.5 hours by road from Vadodara and around 4-5 hours from Ahmedabad, the largest city in Gujarat.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit the Statue of Unity is during the winter months, from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and suitable for outdoor activities. Avoid visiting during the scorching summer months (April to June) when temperatures can be extremely high.
There are several accommodation options near the Statue of Unity, including hotels, resorts, and guesthouses. Some nearby places where you can find accommodation include Vadodara and Bharuch. It’s advisable to book accommodation in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.
Nearby Places to Visit:
- Sardar Sarovar Dam: This massive dam on the Narmada River is located close to the Statue of Unity and is worth a visit. It’s a crucial source of water and power for the region.
- Valley of Flowers: Situated near the Statue of Unity, the Valley of Flowers is a beautiful garden with a variety of flowers and plants.
- Zarwani Waterfall: Located around 25 kilometers from the Statue of Unity, Zarwani Waterfall is a popular tourist spot known for its scenic beauty.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):
- Is there an entry fee to visit the Statue of Unity? Yes, there is an entry fee to visit the Statue of Unity. The fee varies for different categories of visitors (e.g., Indian citizens, foreign tourists, children, etc.). It’s advisable to check the official website for the latest ticket prices.
- Can we go inside the statue? Yes, visitors can go inside the statue and take an elevator to the observation deck at the chest level, which offers a panoramic view of the surrounding area.
- Is photography allowed inside the statue? Yes, photography is allowed inside the statue, including the observation deck, but videography may have some restrictions.
- Are there guided tours available at the Statue of Unity? Yes, guided tours are available for visitors who want to learn more about the statue, its construction, and the life of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.