Thanjavur, also known as Tanjore, is a historic city in Tamil Nadu with a rich cultural heritage. It’s renowned for its ancient temples, classical music, and traditional art forms. Thanjavur was the capital of the Chola dynasty and is known for its distinct style of art, including the famous Tanjore paintings.
How to Reach Thanjavur:
- By Air: The nearest airport to Thanjavur is Tiruchirapalli International Airport (TRZ), located approximately 60 kilometers away. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Thanjavur.
- By Train: Thanjavur Junction is a major railway station well-connected to various cities in South India, including Chennai, Madurai, and Tiruchirapalli.
- By Road: Thanjavur is accessible by road and is well-connected to major cities in Tamil Nadu and neighboring states. You can reach Thanjavur by bus, car, or taxi.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Thanjavur is during the winter months, from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and ideal for temple visits and outdoor exploration.
Local transportation in Thanjavur includes auto-rickshaws, cycle rickshaws, and taxis. The town is relatively compact and can be explored on foot or by using these modes of transportation.
Thanjavur offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, guesthouses, and resorts. You can find lodging to suit different budgets and preferences, with some heritage properties offering a unique experience.
Nearby Places to Visit:
- Brihadeeswarar Temple: Also known as the Big Temple, it’s one of the most famous and UNESCO World Heritage-listed temples in India, dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Thanjavur Maratha Palace: A historic palace complex that houses a museum with an impressive collection of art, sculptures, and royal artifacts.
- Saraswathi Mahal Library: One of the oldest libraries in Asia, known for its vast collection of ancient manuscripts and rare books.
Popular Things to Do:
- Visit Temples: Explore the various temples in Thanjavur, including the Brihadeeswarar Temple, Saraswathi Temple, and Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham.
- Art and Culture: Experience the vibrant arts and culture scene in Thanjavur, including classical music and dance performances. Don’t miss the chance to see or purchase traditional Tanjore paintings.
- Shopping: Buy authentic Tanjore art, silk sarees, traditional jewelry, and handicrafts from local markets and shops.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):
- Q: Is there a dress code for visiting temples in Thanjavur?
- A: It’s advisable to dress modestly when visiting temples, covering your shoulders and knees as a sign of respect.
- Q: Can I take photographs inside the Brihadeeswarar Temple?
- A: Photography is generally allowed in the temple premises, but there may be specific restrictions in certain areas. Be sure to follow the rules and guidelines.
- Q: Are guided tours available for tourists in Thanjavur?
- A: Yes, guided tours of the Brihadeeswarar Temple and other historical sites are available and recommended to learn about the rich history and significance of these places.
Thanjavur’s historical and cultural significance, along with its architectural marvels, make it a fascinating destination for history buffs, art enthusiasts, and spiritual seekers. Whether you’re here to explore its temples, appreciate its art, or delve into its heritage, Thanjavur has much to offer.