Meghalaya, often referred to as the “Abode of Clouds,” is a picturesque state located in the northeastern region of India. Known for its lush green landscapes, rolling hills, breathtaking waterfalls, and unique living root bridges, Meghalaya is a nature lover’s paradise. Here are some of the top places to visit and things to do in Meghalaya:
- Umiam Lake: A serene lake known for boating and picnicking.
- Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures: A museum showcasing the cultural diversity of Northeast India.
- Shillong Peak: Offers panoramic views of Shillong city.
- Police Bazaar: A bustling market for shopping and dining.
2. Cherrapunjee (Sohra):
- Nohkalikai Falls: One of the tallest plunge waterfalls in India.
- Mawsmai Cave: A limestone cave system with impressive stalactites and stalagmites.
- Living Root Bridges: Trek to villages like Mawlynnong to see these unique bio-engineered bridges.
- Double Decker Living Root Bridge: A natural wonder and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Cleanest Village in Asia: Known for its cleanliness and community-based eco-tourism initiatives.
- Balancing Rock: A fascinating geological formation.
- Dawki River: Known for its crystal-clear waters and boating.
- Umngot River: Offers a unique experience of boating in transparent waters.
- Krang Suri Falls: A stunning waterfall surrounded by lush forests.
- Thadlaskein Lake: A beautiful lake with a legend attached to it.
- Nongkhnum Island: The largest river island in Meghalaya.
- Mawthadraishan Peak: A trekking destination with panoramic views.
- Balpakram National Park: Known for its diverse flora and fauna.
- Nokrek National Park: Home to the endangered red panda.
- Sisiborgaon Eco Park: A nature park with lush greenery and walking trails.
9. Culture and Festivals:
- Experience the local Khasi culture and festivals like Shad Suk Mynsiem and Behdienkhlam.
- Enjoy traditional Khasi music and dance performances.
10. Trekking and Adventure: – Explore the various trekking trails, caves, and adventure activities offered in the state.
11. Try Local Cuisine: – Sample Meghalayan dishes like Jadoh (rice with meat), bamboo shoot curries, and tungrymbai (fermented soybean chutney).
12. Krem Puri Cave: – One of the longest sandstone caves in the world, offering a unique underground adventure.
Meghalaya’s natural beauty, rich culture, and warm hospitality make it a wonderful destination for travelers seeking an escape into the lap of nature. The best time to visit Meghalaya is during the dry season, from October to April, when the weather is pleasant for outdoor activities and sightseeing. Be sure to check the local weather conditions and travel advisories before planning your trip to Meghalaya.