Tso Moriri Lake, also known as Lake Moriri, is a breathtaking high-altitude lake situated in the Changthang Plateau of Ladakh, India. Surrounded by rugged mountains and vast grasslands, the lake is known for its serene beauty and clear blue waters. It’s one of the largest high-altitude lakes in India and an important breeding ground for several bird species.
How to Reach Tso Moriri Lake:
Tso Moriri Lake is located at a considerable distance from Leh, the main town in Ladakh. To reach Tso Moriri Lake:
- By Road: The most common way to reach Tso Moriri Lake is by road from Leh. The journey is approximately 220 kilometers and takes around 6-7 hours by car. You’ll pass through picturesque landscapes and cross several high mountain passes.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Tso Moriri Lake is during the summer months, from May to September. During this period, the weather is relatively pleasant, and the lake is accessible. The lake remains frozen during the winter months, making it inaccessible and challenging to visit.
Tso Moriri Lake is in a remote area, and mobile network connectivity is limited. Only BSNL and Jio networks work here to some extent. Don’t rely on a strong network, and be prepared for intermittent connectivity.
Accommodation options near Tso Moriri Lake include guesthouses, homestays, and campsites. The nearby village of Korzok has a few guesthouses where you can stay. Camping by the lakeside is a popular option, but you’ll need to arrange for camping equipment.
Nearby Places to Visit:
- Korzok Monastery: Explore the Korzok Monastery, one of the oldest monasteries in Ladakh, with a stunning location overlooking Tso Moriri Lake.
- Changthang Wildlife Sanctuary: The Changthang Plateau is home to various wildlife species, including Tibetan wild ass (kiang), marmots, and a variety of bird species.
Popular Things to Do:
- Photography: Tso Moriri Lake’s pristine beauty and the surrounding landscapes offer fantastic photography opportunities.
- Bird Watching: If you’re a bird enthusiast, Tso Moriri is a great place for bird watching, especially during the breeding season.
- Camping: Camping by the lakeside is a serene experience, allowing you to connect with nature.
- Is Tso Moriri Lake accessible throughout the year? – No, the road to Tso Moriri Lake is typically open from May to September due to heavy snowfall in the winter months.
- Is it safe to swim in Tso Moriri Lake? – Swimming is not recommended due to the extremely cold water temperatures and high altitudes.
- What is the currency used in Leh? – The currency used is the Indian Rupee (INR).
- Are there ATMs near Tso Moriri Lake? – ATMs are limited in this remote area, so it’s advisable to carry sufficient cash from Leh.
- Do I need a permit to visit Tso Moriri Lake? – Indian tourists do not require a permit to visit Tso Moriri Lake. Foreign tourists may need to check permit requirements depending on their nationality and current regulations.
Tso Moriri Lake is a hidden gem in Ladakh, offering a tranquil escape and a chance to connect with nature in a pristine high-altitude environment. Its remote location and stunning scenery make it a memorable destination for travelers.